Tuesday, November 9, 2010

I am on one, jeez.

So the discussion in my Shakespeare class right now is about A Midsummer Night's Dream, one of my favorites. In one of the threads, we were to talk about what midsummer is and what May Day is. Here's the initial response. I've removed names to protect their stupidity.

Midsummer is on May 1st and commemorates the tranisiton from Winter to Summer. May 1st is also the Pagan celebration called May Day, which is a festival that observes ancient fertility rites and includes dancing around the Maypole (a phallic symbol) and crowning the Queen of May.

I've heard that the tradition included young people spending the night in the woods having sex and allowed married couples to remove their wedding bands for the holiday.

The holiday is not often observed in the United States because when the Puritans arrived here, they strongly disapproved of the rituals. The negative feelings have carried on throughout U.S. History in many cases. Interestingly enough, May Day is celebrated in some elementary schools.

More posts are made responding to this one, all basically saying, "Wow! I had no idea!" Whatever. Then there's this post:

Does anyone else feel like keeping a closer eye on the holiday celebrations their kids are involved with at school after dicovering this stuff or is it just me? (And yes, that's their typo, not mine.)

Holy hell, people, it's an effing holiday.

MY RESPONSE, AND I OWN EVERY WORD OF IT:

No, I don't care about this kind of stuff. Halloween is tied to Paganism and I let my daughter dress up and go trick-or-treating. Same reason why I let Santa Claus take its course in her circle of beliefs when she was younger, as well as the fact that I let her not only read the Harry Potter books, but watch the movies as well. So far I haven't heard of her practicing Wicca, worshiping a Saint, or learning Magick. I also plan on introducing her to several of my favorite books when she gets to the age where the subject matter is no longer questionable for her level of comprehension. What books are those? To Kill a Mockingbird, The Color Purple, Of Mice and Men, and A Separate Peace, to name a few. Those are/were banned books. Making a bigger deal out of something so trivial only fuels the fire of curiosity in children, especially pre-teens and teenagers.

My husband doesn't wear a wedding ring, and I don't wear mine all the time. Does that mean something I'm not aware of?! And if we go camping and things get a little frisky in the tent, are we doing something wrong?

Pardon me for cutting this short, I forgot I left my maypole up from earlier this year and I don't want it to get ruined by the snow.

Oh, and just in case you're planning a trip to Paris to see the Eiffel Tower, you might want to strike that from your list of places to see before you die. *It's a phallic reference!*

2 comments:

Nicole said...

HA! I love smart sarcasim. :) So what were their responses???

Word verification: UnSlayl!!! So funny.

Sarah said...

No responses. I think I offended their dainty sensibilities.