So today I'm checking our main e-mail account, and there's an email that pops up. The subject: Missing you. I look at the email address. Nope, don't recognize it. I open it, thinking it's something accidentally sent to us. First thing I see: Hi Rachel I miss you sooooooo much...
Oh, crap. A thousand things run through my mind. I monitor every webpage she goes to. I look over her shoulder and watch her play teddy bear games and laugh at her use of eBay to find Littlest Pet Shops. I limit her time online. Oh, crap, what have I missed?
I notice that the letter has no punctuation, several spelling errors, and then at the end, I see this (errors and all): ... lets make up nicknames since were like penpals my name will be wickedlover10
OH... @#^%#$@#!!! HELL NO! NOT MY DAUGHTER!
No way on Earth am I going to let this go on. I reply to the email and say, Hi, this is Rachel's mom. I guess she gave out our email address without our knowing and I'm going to have to ask that you not email this address again. Thanks.
I just checked our email before heading to bed, and man, am I... a jerk?
Earlier this summer, our neighbor's sister came up to visit and brought her 10-year old daughter with her. She and Rachel played every day she was here, and they formed a pretty good friendship. Apparently, this girl's mom contacted our neighbor, and in turn our neighbor gave her sister our email address, thus allowing the girls to communicate and so forth. I made this poor little girl cry and she had no idea what she had done and the mom basically wished us well and informed us that she'll no longer email us. DOH!
In my defense, there was no name in the email, just that wickedlover10. What mom of a 10-year old wouldn't freak out at that? I immediately emailed the mom back, explained to her that I had no idea it was her daughter, and would pass the note on. I apologized profusely, subtlely noted that there was no indication of who it was emailing Rachel, and sent it back.
After discussing this with Rod, who I'll add also freaked out at the name wickedlover10, I realized something. WICKED LOVER. WICKED, the freaking Broadway play. This little girl loves WICKED. It's nice that she loves the music, because I know there's no way she's seen the play. Again, in my defense: Think of your child talking to someone named wickedlover. 40-year old pervert in his mother's basement, anyone?
3 comments:
I would have totally reacted the same way. I think you are justified in your actions even if it happened to be a mistake. You just can't be too careful with our kids!
I would have done the exact same thing, except possibly not been as polite.
that's FUNNY!!
Post a Comment