Saturday, September 11, 2010

The Elegance of the Hedgehog

I felt really badly about not being able to participate in all of the book group discussions last year, so I was happy to volunteer for the summer read to open up the 2010-2011 book group. I chose a book that's been on my list for quite a while. I was a little nervous in choosing a book that I hadn't read, but after totally going against my "when I am done reading this book it will still look and smell brand new" philosophy and marked AND earmarked pages, I wasn't too worried. Excellent book. I have all of my favorite passages highlighted and I don't plan on passing this one along... yet.

Here's a favorite, from Renee:

Ah, sweet, impromptu moment, light the veil of melancholy...In a split second of eternity, everything is changed, transfigured. A few bars of music, rising from an unfamiliar piece, a touch of perfection in the flow of human dealings-I lean my head slowly to one side, reflect on the camellia on the moss of the temple, reflect on a cup of tea, while outside the wind is rustling the foliage, the forward rush of life is crystallized in a brilliant jewel of a moment that knows neither projects nor future, human destiny is rescued from the pale succession of days, glows with light at last and, surpassing time, warms my tranquil heart.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Interesting, i will have to add it to my library list. I just came home with the "nexts" in a bunch of series that I follow. :) So does the title have anything to do with the book?

Sarah said...

It does. :)