Monday, October 12, 2009

My apologies to Indigo Girls

I tried to take a nap today before studying for my math test tomorrow. I had my sleeping music I've trained myself to fall asleep to playing in the background, and I started my breathing exercises that Ronna assigned me to do. Then, I realized I am flying the day after tomorrow. In 48 hours, I will be at the airport. Getting ready. To fly.

Alone.

Yeah, I know there are going to be other people on the plane. (It's completely full.) But me? I will be alone.

I thought about my breathing and listened to my music. And all I could think about was how scared I am to fly. I pictured myself at the airport, waiting to get on the plane. Then I saw two guards hauling me off to airport security, as I'm wailing and screaming in fear.

I pictured myself on the plane, not breathing. Just crying. Inconsolably bawling.

Here are the lyrics to a song by Indigo Girls. Song title: Airplane.

Up on the airplane
Nearer my God to thee
I start making a deal
Inspired by gravity
If I did wrong I won't do it again
Cause I can be sweet and good and nice
And if I had enemies they're friends
I'll hold to my life with the grip of a vice

And I'm up on the airplane
Nearer my God to thee
I start making a deal
Inspired by gravity

That little spot on the ground is my hometown
I like to call it my home and it's sweet
I'd rather take a seat down there
Than a throne up here up above 30,000 feet
And I'm up on the airplane

I never should have read my horoscope
Or the fortune on the bubble gum strip
Saying what you think won't happen will
A great thing to read before a trip
On an airplane

Pilot says the big blue sky's like a swimming pool
Big fluffy clouds like a feather bed
I'd rather have a real pillow underneath my head
Lying in my bed which is in my hometown
Which is on the ground
Far from an airplane

2 comments:

Moose and Family said...

Just think of the fabulous time you are going to have!! Good luck and have a good trip.

Dawn said...

I love it! I'm going to fly in about 2 weeks and I wake up in near hysteria thinking I WILL call and cancel that trip! Thanks for sharing....and you made it back. There's one more reason to hope on my flight:)