Friday, October 30, 2009

Letter to my professor

This is a major part of my frustration.

Certain names have been changed.

Diane,

I'm going to be totally frank. I have a very, very limiting schedule. When She-who-must-not-be-named said at the beginning of the semester that the only time she could meet was at 6:30 on Friday nights, that was absolutely perfect for me, because that's honestly the ONLY time out of the entire week that I can do this. If I'm not mistaken, we've only met on Friday nights at 6:30 TWICE. She's lucky that I have consults with one of my professors periodically throughout the week, thus creating an open slot of time for us to meet, which is always according to her schedule. I don't care that she works in Salt Lake and drives down every day. She's single. I'm a mom who works full time, volunteers, goes to school full time (night classes included), and tries to maintain half a relationship with my husband and 11-year old. (And I apologize for this verbal explosion, but I really think you ought to know what the situation is.) Whenever we meet, She-who-must-not-be-named copies what I write down. She complains about having to take math, complains that she doesn't understand, complains, complains, complains. She ran into me at the library on Monday while I was working on a research proposal and said that (once again) she couldn't meet on Friday night. I told her my schedule is such that I can't meet except for Friday nights. I was not paying attention to what she was saying because of the work I was doing, so if there's no story problem, I apologize. Every story problem that has been submitted this semester has come from me. Every time we've had to show you the work, it's come from me. If she's submitted anything, save this week, I'll guarantee it's copied from me. I think she said she was going to submit a word problem, so whatever. I'd join in with Doug's study group, but again, my schedule is such that I leave work for school and as soon as class is over I run back to work. I can do the problem you asked, and if you want I'll show you the work on Monday.

Thanks for listening. I will continue to keep my happy face on.

Sarah Dockstader

No comments: