I was at a gallery a few years ago with my mom, and we saw this painting that was absolutely exquisite. It is, she said, one of her favorites ever. The price tag on this painting? $2,100. Yeah, pocket change, but we weren't feeling spendy that day. Fast forward to about a year ago. I was at Heindselman's in Provo looking at their cross-stitch patterns. (They're not much of a x-stitching store as they are knitting. HUGE on knitting.) I saw a pattern for that very painting that my mother loved so much and decided to go all out and stitch it for her. Let me tell you, it is MAMMOTH. Absolutely ginormous. And... it's all petit point. For those of you who don't know that lingo, let me explain. In a regular cross stitch pattern, you stitch one X over 2 holes, like this:
With petit point, you're stitching 4 stitches to one regular X, like this:
The point of petit point is to make your design look as realistic as possible. I hope I can get this done now that I have immersed and exhausted myself with really simple and basic patterns. Here's what I have done, and how much more I have to go. And for reference, the part that is stitched is just about one 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper. I am way excited, I love how it's turned out so far, and am ready to hammer this one out!
And here's what the finished product is supposed to look like:
2 comments:
What a beautiful painting, and what a stellar gift for your mom! You're amazing.
You are amazing! I can't wait to see it done... what an accomplishment that will be!
Post a Comment