Friday, October 8, 2010

Lucky

I'm lucky to be a mom. Really, truly lucky. Today I took Rachel shopping for a Halloween costume. Everything we liked wound up being way, way, way too short and not something I felt comfortable with spending money on, let alone allowing my daughter to wear. She said that she was just going to cancel Halloween this year because I didn't like anything she liked and wanted to avoid the hassle.

I flat out told her there was no way I was going to let her wear immodest costumes at her age and that I didn't feel like there was anything age appropriate for her to wear, unless she wanted to dress up as a Teletubbie or one of those things from Yo Gabba Gabba. Not likely. I put on my *Religious Mom Hat* and told her that I really feel like Satan just wants girls to wear clothes that make them look like sluts. (Yeah, I used that term.) I told her I was sorry but I couldn't stand behind letting her get any of the costumes we saw.

She turned to me and said, "Mom, God is happy that you are saying that and you shouldn't apologize for saying that. You're a good mom and you're doing what is right."

I started crying. To hear those words come from her mouth made me realize that I'm not a bad mom, and although I struggle with my own spirituality on a daily basis, I'm helping build a foundation for my daughter that is on solid ground.

I am lucky.

No comments: