
Yes, I know the picture's not that great - cell phone. The digital camera was at home.
Last night I took Rachel to see Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto #2 at the Utah Symphony. We got there about 1/2 hour early because I wanted her to see how the members of the symphony come out on stage and warm up and all of the prep before it actually starts. As I sat down, I had this feeling of "this is where I'm supposed to be." I felt right at home. I felt a sense of home. I almost can't describe it, because it's like trying to explain to someone how your arm feels on your body. Only you know how it feels, and only you can understand that concept. I know many readers will understand where I'm coming from, because most of you've all been transplanted from one place to here (wherever that may be), and where you came from is a big part of who you are, and now that you're not there anymore, you're feeling less... you.
Anyway, the first piece they played was absolutely fantastic. Toccata for Orchestra by James Beckel. There is no current recording of this piece, which is a crying shame. After the piece concluded, the hall erupted in applause, but only after several audible exclamations of, "Wow!" and "Superb!" and "Bravo!" were heard. I know, because I was one of those. I wish there was a way to patch some of this piece here. It was phenomenal. Exciting, to say the least. The next piece was a Beethoven Symphony. (YAWN, SNORE.) Never been a fan. Then, intermission.

After that, Rocky. Oh, Rocky. I just couldn't believe I was there. That I was seeing it performed. That I was hearing it. Live. I cried. I cried in all three movements. Remember how a few posts ago I mentioned Rachel being able to express my inexpressible? Rachmaninoff does the same. There's something about this piece that just bores right through to the center of my very being, to my soul, and touches it in a way that nothing else can. There are just a select few pieces of music that make me feel like my soul is...
This has to be my number one.
1 comment:
I really love Rachmaninoff too. Of course, I don't feel to negative towards Beethoven as you do... I actually like his stuff (sorry), but I do love me some Rachmaninoff.
Post a Comment