Saturday, May 3, 2008

Night Caching!




I've always wanted to run out and try a night cache but never got around to doing one. I cherish my evenings, especially now that I get up at 4:45am.

Rod gets home from work early on Saturdays and needed to get out. I suggested that we go caching, and since daylight was running out quickly, a night cache would be best. I found one near Whiting Campground, just a few miles from the house, loaded it on the GPS and we headed out. When we got up to the campground, it was about 9:15. There was just an inkling of sunlight left, and to not freak anyone out, Rod went over to the host and let them know what we were doing. Apparently there was someone else who had come up earlier to find a cache and had no luck. Rod told the host that we were looking for a different one and would let them know if we were successful. We took off on the trail, looked for the little irridescent markings on the trees, made our way and found the cache! Actually, Rachel found it. She's our eagle eyes, honestly. That kid is superb! I forgot to bring the camera with me, so I took some celebratory pictures on our way back home. Rachel was laughing so hard after looking at these. We may look like a bunch of loonies, but I'm telling you, our little family is AWESOME!

2 comments:

Moose and Family said...

We have wanted to try a night cache ourselves and just haven't had a chance to yet. I'm glad ya'll were sucessful!! Woo Hoo!!

Karli said...

When I started caching all we did were night caches. In fact, I'm not sure I have ever done one during the day.... Anyway, at night they are just a little more exciting I think. We haven't done one in forever so maybe we'll get the boys and do one on Saturday! I forgot how much fun these are.