Holy cow. It's been almost a month and a half since midterms. My math professor FINALLY posted my grade!! Were it not what it was, I would have been slightly more irate. 98.8%. Not too shabby. I'm curious to know what the missed question was, but I figure if it took her this long to post the score, getting a copy of the test would take another year. Oh well. I'm hoping this class has caused the corroded math file in the back of my brain to open a little easier, making it so I can test out and skip the next two or three math classes needed to fufill my requirement. I hate math. I've never been good at it. EVER. I also know I share this sentiment with all of my sisters. Maybe my fake brother and sister, too.
Mendelssohn was kind to me today. I performed better than I thought I would have, considering that I wasn't able to have much prep time in the 15 minutes it took to drive from work to school. At the performance, there was a girl who played Malaguena. I love that piece. Unfortunately I can't listen to that song again without thinking of this girl. Her playing wasn't great, but it wasn't bad, either. What killed it for me (and for those of you who know how I play the piano) was the fact that after playing certain notes, she'd throw her hand almost straight up in the air. Flare? GAG ME! I HATE THAT! What also drove me to fits of giggles was the fact that she'd STAND UP. In the middle of the piece. She'd also scootch herself up and down the piano bench, which honestly wasn't that big to begin with. Oh, I wanted to stand up and tell her to stop! There also was a guy who played a Chopin piece I played as a high school senior. He butchered it. I wanted to cry. It's one of a very small number of Chopin pieces I tolerate. Oh, the humanity.
Speaking of humanity.... I accompanied a clarinetist yesterday up in Layton. It was his regional solo/ensemble performance. This kid is FAB. What totally sucked: I had to play a half-sized keyboard, plugged into an amp, set up in the middle of their gym. He still got a 1 and is going to state solo/ensemble, but I swear that if I have to play on a keyboard at the state level, I will say something to the people in charge and not just leave it to the music teacher. Totally, totally not cool for something like this.
As far as Rod goes, he got his custom plates the other day. The circle is complete. Unfortunately for Rachel, when she gets her plates later on in life, she won't be able to customize with the complete spelling of Dockstader. DOXTADR? Who's going to get that anyway? If Lara were here, she'd tell me Rachel's plate should be ENIGMA. Not for the group, either. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment