Sunday, March 1, 2009

I'm not bipolar, really...

Earlier this week I had a total and absolute meltdown. I have been dealing with some recent come-to-light personal issues, stressing out over my grades and classes this semester, as well as the whole mom/wife stress I blogged about a week or two ago. I had four tests to take within 5 days, and that's what really threw me over the top. As I was going through this inner turmoil, I called my dad to talk to him about my situation, and he pointed out the number of plates I'm spinning:

1. Full-time, active member of the LDS church.
2. Part-time, active member of the Presbyterian church.
3. Full-time employee.
-Trying to get a new position.
4. Full-time student.
-Chemistry, Spanish, Math
5. Mom
6. Wife

I realized that I'm doing more things than I can handle, and have had to admit something that is very, very difficult - I've reached the point where I've bit off more than I can chew. To make a long story short, I made a crucial decision in a split second in order to save my sanity in a major way. After I made up my mind, I can definitely tell you that things for me have gotten a lot better. A LOT. I'm not dropping out of school, not after the blood, sweat, and tears I've shed. (There's also the money factor, which scares me.) I'm going to keep on, keep on, keep on...

Yesterday after my last test of the week, Helen and Rachel and I went to Classic Skating in Orem and spent about 3 hours there. Best money I've spent in a long time. The last time I skated at a roller rink was when I was 12-13ish. It was at Ups-N-Downs in Escondido, CA, and afterwards Lara, Lori, some of their friends and I went to the ice cream place nearby. We pretended it was my birthday because they put on this major show with sirens and a huge ice cream sunday on a stretcher and what not... Needless to say, our lie radiated enormously bad karma because one of the guys running around the store carrying his half of the stretcher slipped, fell, and broke his arm. Anyway, skating yesterday was a blast despite the myriad children riding their scooters around the joint. I also discovered that if I'm not skating at a higher rate of speed, I'm definitely apt to fall flat on my butt. That and men's skates are much, much more comfortable than the women's.

2 comments:

Karli said...

I know you're not bi-polar. I know what you are... a fabulous friend, mother, wife (I'm guess here but I can imagine that you are :) a super busy and studious student and a wonderful person that is so selfless to volunteer so much time! Thanks for your example!

Cherylyn said...

I can just say I know how you feel. I've been at that point before of having gotten in over my head. Everything we do is for a purpose, even if we don't know what that purpose is, or if it's simply to learn not to do the same thing again. Hang in there Sarah. I know you'll pull through with shining colors :)