Saturday, March 7, 2009

... and there I go, opening my big mouth again.

I was getting extremely frustrated in my Spanish class this morning. My professor was going over a bunch of verbs and their conjugations (because conjugating Spanish verbs is SO exciting!) and I was feeling some of said frustration from the fact that if what's being said in Spanish is literally translated to English, we'd all sound like we have 2nd grade educations. If I were to say, "I'm hot," in Spanish, I'd say, "Tengo calor," which translates to "I have heat." YIKES! Am I an animal? Another one that makes me angry is, "Como se dice?" which we all know means, "How do you say?" However, I found out this morning that decir, which we get the conjugation dice, actually means "tell." So when I ask someone, "Como se dice?" I'm actually saying, "How do you tell?" NO! That's not proper!

Anyway, to get to the point of this post... My professor asked (all of this is in Spanish, but to save me the time of translation and you the time of reading, I'll just pretend like it's all in English) if any of us like to sing, and I raised my hand. He asked me if I'd like to come up in front of the class and sing, and I told him no. He then asked, "If I were to give you 10 bonus points, would you?" and without thinking, I said, "Si!" So now I have to sing two verses of a song in Spanish in front of the class. He said I could do it on another day. I immediately thought of singing something by Bebel Gilberto, one of my faves. One problem: She's from Brazil. Brazilians speak Portugese. Yeah. I have a few other ideas floating around, so I should be ok. I just hope my professor isn't disappointed if I don't sound like Maria Callas when I get up and do the singing.

2 comments:

Moose and Family said...

How about just singing "Happy Birthday"? :D

Sarah said...

Haha! He said that one doesn't count!