Thursday, February 28, 2008

Things are getting a little out of hand

After about a month of unorganized music playing on Nwanda v. 2.0, I've decided to sit down and make a few playlists so I'm not stopping to fast forward through the random Christmas albums that pop up. I just plugged in and started playing one of my new favorite songs, The Minnow & The Trout, by A Fine Frenzy. I thought, "Hey, my first playlist is going to be that of the empowering female voice." I have some really good stuff, including the aforementioned A Fine Frenzy. I made the category, and then started going through the songs on my iPod. Good gravy, this is going to take forever. 8002 items? Even if I were to make a general shuffle sans Christmas, it's going to take a month of Sundays. I've also decided that I'm going to whittle down some of the albums I have on Nwanda. While it's nice to have the complete album, there are some songs I just have no interest in listening to, and can't see wanting to listen in the future, either.


On another note, I have to say that for the first time in my life, I've really enjoyed the visiting teachers assigned to me. Not to discount the ones in the past, but for once, I have had two different pairs that understand what my schedule is like and are willing to give me my space. I didn't have M&A that long, but it was nice because they weren't banging down the door wanting and insisting on seeing me every month. They totally got it. The first lesson we had for the year in Relief Society was all about the importance of visiting teaching. I was getting a little peeved at the way the conversation was going, simply because the R.S. Pres was pushing and pushing that it HAS to be done at no cost, and was listing creative ideas for convincing your teachee that you, as the teacher, absolutely have to come over. That doesn't sit right with me AT ALL. I hated and dreaded getting calls from some of my previous VTers because they couldn't compute that I didn't have the time or wasn't available. Anyway, I raised my hand and simply asked, "What if you don't want to be visit taught? What if you don't want to have visiting teachers?" Holy cow, after I said that, I swear I heard about 35 jaws hit the floor. I think the ladies in my ward have forgotten how blunt I am. (I've been in Primary for the past three years.) Anyway, I changed the tone of the conversation, made my point, and got the message to the Relief Society presidency. After the lesson, P, one of my two current VTers, came up to me and asked, "Is this your way of saying you don't like us?" and gave me a huge smile and a hug. I proceded to explain to her about my schedule and how I have barely enough time for me. She said she totally understood and asked if calling every now and then would be ok. I told her that would be perfect. She actually called me last night and we had the most delightful conversation. Did I mention she teaches English at UVSC? I absolutely adore P, and not just for that one reason, either. That's just a bonus.If you'll excuse me, I have some playlists to make.

1 comment:

Karli said...

I think I just might know this "P" you are speaking of. Just for the record, I adore her too. Oh, and I am also the type that thinks a phone call once a month from my V.T.'s will suffice thank you very much.