Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Decision Time

I made a decision with quite a bit of trepidation. The more I think about it, the more I realize that I was right in doing so. I've always been a pessimistic realist, so naturally my gut instinct/reaction is to second guess myself. The more I distance myself from the schooling I've had, the easier and easier it is for me to breathe. I realize that I've lost a lot of money having gone down the old road and am spending a little bit more with what's in store on my new road, but this new road has maybe one or two speed bumps compared to the pothole riddled old way. Hopefully my family can tell the difference because I sure can. Suddenly life is more enjoyable and I don't think I'm as intolerable as I was two weeks ago.

I just hope Rod doesn't get too disheartened at the fact that I still don't have a sense of humor.

3 comments:

Cherylyn said...

Are you going with a specialized program at a different school?! Whatever you do, I'm really excited for you and what you have ahead of you.

Sarah said...

I am, Cherylyn! I had to get real and admit that doing things the way I've been doing them is totally unrealistic, what with working full-time and going to school full-time. I have been talking to Stevens-Henager and am going into their Associates program, which will give me 9 certifications. Once I get 6 months experience as a CNA, I can apply for their RN program. After all is said and done, I'm only looking at 3-4 years of school versus 6 more years at UVU/U of U, provided I'd get accepted into their program the first time I applied. But let's get real. The only people (statistically speaking) who get into those programs are the ones who are solely funded by Mommy and Daddy, don't do anything but school, get accepted, graduate, work for one year, get married, have a baby, and quit one year after that. You know? S-H is accredited. I know IHC hires their graduates, and Primary Children's in SLC is IHC based, and that's where I want to be - in their Ped. Oncology unit. The light in my tunnel is shining so much brighter and things are already so, so much better!

Cherylyn said...

That's so cool. It's important to do what's best for you, and it sounds like you've figured that out. It's similar to what my brother in-law did after spending countless years and money on general eds. Once he got into the specialized program he breezed through. Not that it was super easy. It was definitely hard work, but very worthwhile and he was working as a CNA while he worked toward his LN and RN. He got through the program quickly too. I know I already said this, but I'm really happy for you :)